Here are some famous American Fibs you have probably heard:
- The check is in the mail.
- I'll start my diet tomorrow.
- We service what we sell.
- Give me your number and the doctor will call you right back.
- Money cheerfully refunded.
- One size fits all.
- This offer limited to the first 100 people who call in.
- Your luggage isn't lost, it's only misplaced.
- Leave your resume and we'll keep it on file.
- This hurts me more than it hurts you.
- I just need five minutes of your time.
- Your table will be ready in a few minutes.
- Open wide, it won't hurt a bit.
- Let's have lunch sometime.
- It's not the money, it's the principle.
Bits & Pieces, December 9, 1993, pp. 12-13.
Every day we hear numerous lies. Sometimes we know when we are being lied to, other times we are totally fooled and deceived. Hang out with liars and you will learn to lie. Likes drawl likes. In other words liars hang out together. God says He hates lying lips.
Proverbs 6:16-19 (ESV) “There are six things that the Lord hates, seven that are an abomination to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and one who sows discord among brothers.”
Sin always demands an increase. If you lie you will find you usually have to lie again to cover up the lie. Truth is defined by one source as “sincerity in action, character, and utterance”. Perhaps the most famous verse about truth in the Bible is what Jesus said “… I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6) So Jesus is truth and Jesus is also the Word (John 1:1, 14). As Christians we believe that every word in the Bible is true; this is the foundation upon which we live our lives. Knowing what the Bible says about truth and hiding God’s word in our heart helps us to know when we are listening to the Voice of Truth. Father God always speaks truth. The devil always lies.
Proverbs 12:22 (NIV)”You are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father you will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and stayed not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.”
When we make Jesus our Lord and Savior we have power over the devil and are free to choose how we will live and for whom we will live. Go ahead and tell the truth. Let everyone know who your daddy is.